What status is Input Method on Breezy?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 24 23:05:13 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:21:36AM +0900, Hiroyuki Ikezoe wrote:
> Is there any progress about Input Method on Breezy?
>
> I think SCIM [1] is enough stable for daily use. Since it is quite
> stable at least for CJK users, language-support-pack-xx or
> language-pack-xx may include each imengine of SCIM.
>
> For instance,
>
> language-support-pack-ja depends on scim-anthy
> language-support-pack-zh depends on scim-pinyin
> language-support-pack-ko depends on scim-hangl
>

> In debian unstable, scim-anthy is suited for im-switch [2] so it can be
> used just installing the package. It is no need to set any environment
> values (XMODIFIERS or GTK_IM_MODULE) manually. I'm not sure about
> scim-pinyin and scim-hangl packages, but these are maybe suited for
> im-switch.  Anyway, for CJK users, Input Method is very important, it is
> altogether different whether it can be used from the first or not.
>
> Please consider including these imengines on breezy.

The development team currently doesn't have enough experience with input
methods to know:

- Which input method platform to choose (you seem to prefer scim, but others
  have expressed preferences for other input methods.  we need objective
  criteria)
- Which input methods work best for which languages (again, we need
  objective assessments)
- What work needs to be done in order to make them work "out of the box"
  (surely there is more to be done than simply installing the packages?)

Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated.

We are in feature freeze for the 5.10 release, so intrusive changes will
need to be delayed until after the release, but if there are simple and safe
things that we can do in order to enable this functionality, we can consider
it.

--
 - mdz