Initrd-tools problems installing Breezy Colony 3cd on a laptop Acer Aspire 3000

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 23 23:09:04 CDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:52:51PM -0300, Jônadas Techio wrote:
> I have a laptop (Acer Aspire 3000, with Sempron Mobile 2800), and was
> interested to upgrade from Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary) to Ubuntu 5.10 ("Breezy Badger"
> Colony CD 3), mainly because of the improved bluetooth support, and also the
> support for laptop buttons.

Ubuntu 5.10 will not be released until October 2005, so bear in mind that
until that time, the installation and upgrade processes are unlikely to be
as smooth as in Ubuntu 5.04.

> When the installation of the base system was almost
> finished, I got the message: "unable to install initrd-tools" (or
> something like that). I retried two or three times and got the same
> message in every attempt.
> Could some of you give me some hint about how to solve this problem?
> Is it a bug or some problem with my laptop?

That would be a very strange message to see from Colony 3, since it does not
contain any initrd-tools package (only initramfs-tools).  Are you sure it
was Colony 3?

It would be helpful if you could send a copy of the installer log file
/var/log/syslog so that we can see what happened here.

> Another question: I tried also to do an "upgrade" from 5.04
> (which I re-installed) to the new one, with Synaptics smart upgrade,
> but it was unsuccessful, with many broken packages which I could not
> fix. There is some way to do it right?

Again, this is expected when upgrading to an unreleased development branch.
If you are interested in helping us to fix the bugs, then you need to
provide more details about the problems you experienced.  If you are only
interested in using your system day to day, then I recommend staying with
Ubuntu 5.04 for now.

--
 - mdz