X.Org is unbroken -- how to fix

Christoph Sturm christoph.sturm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:35:42 CDT 2005

On 8/5/05, Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> So.  X.Org in breezy has been partially broken for a couple of days.
>
> Sort of.
>
> A little.
>
> So.
>
> Scenario #1:
> Your XKB is broken.  For some reason, you may be using a non-US-layout
> keyboard.  If you were to do this, things may not work.  There are a
> couple of things to do here:
>   * Step one: sudo apt-get install xkbutils.
>   * Step two: sudo dpkg -i --force-confmiss
>     /var/cache/apt/archives/xkeyboard-config_0.5-4_all.deb
> You'll only need step two if you've been upgrading through breezy.
> Upgrades from hoary should be fine.

I am having this problem, but the fix doenst work. Maybe it has to do
with the symlinks i created some time ago when trying to fix it on my
own.

when i try to select german keyboard with gnome-keyboard-properties i get this:

** (gnome-keyboard-properties:7339): CRITICAL **: XkbGetKeyboard
failed to get keyboard from the server!

and then it crashes.
What can i do to reset my configuration?

thanks
 chris