X.Org is unbroken -- how to fix

Peter Frühberger peter.fruehberger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 01:39:53 CDT 2005

Daniel Stone schrieb:
> Hi all,
> So.  X.Org in breezy has been partially broken for a couple of days.
>
> Sort of.
>
> A little.
>
> So.
>
> Scenario #1:
> Your XKB is broken.  For some reason, you may be using a non-US-layout
> keyboard.  If you were to do this, things may not work.  There are a
> couple of things to do here:
>   * Step one: sudo apt-get install xkbutils.
>   * Step two: sudo dpkg -i --force-confmiss
>     /var/cache/apt/archives/xkeyboard-config_0.5-4_all.deb
> You'll only need step two if you've been upgrading through breezy.
> Upgrades from hoary should be fine.
>
> Scenario #2:
> You're missing lots of stuff that should be in xbase-clients or xutils.
>   * Step one: sudo apt-get install xprop xrdb xauth xinit.
>   * Step two: ...
>   * Step three: profit!
>
> Screnario #3:
> Something else is broken.
>   * Step one: file a bug.
>
> Note that you must be using the absolute latest versions of everything
> for this to work.  This means 6.8.2-44 for anything that comes from
> xorg.  Really, it does.
>
> And I think that should be it.  Random packages that used to be in
> xutils and xbase-clients are still missing, but slowly creeping their
> way back into the archive.  So, enjoy.  Any bugs you might experience
> from hereon in are a figment of your imagination.  And I can prove this
> mathematically if you ask.  So there.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Okay finally this fixed it for me, because of
xkeyboard-config_0.5-4_all.deb came one day later into the archive, i
forgot after it was upgraded to do the following:

* Step two: sudo dpkg -i --force-confmiss
    /var/cache/apt/archives/xkeyboard-config_0.5-4_all.deb

after restarting gdm, everything works fine

[@ daniel: this morning, there was also a gdm update, so my system, did
not want to stop the older gdm, the new one so did not want to start
(TM). After killing the old gdm, everything now works fine, no more
Keymap errors]

Thx for your help and sorry for the 2 "spam" mails 10 minutes ago

Peter

- --
		    Key-ID:     0x1A995A9B
		    keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Fingerprint: 4606 DA19 EC2E 9A0B 0157  C81B DA07 CF63 1A99 5A9B