Breezy Badger milestone release "Colony 3" now available

Lakin Wecker lakin.wecker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 18:02:53 CDT 2005

On 8/21/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 09:42:53AM -0600, Lakin Wecker wrote:
>
> > On 8/17/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > - The much-awaited USplash graphical boot feature is included; though
> its
> > > full functionality is not yet enabled, it displays a graphical boot
> > > screen and it is important for us to know that it works on a wide
> > > variety of hardware before proceeding. To activate it, run the
> > > following command in a terminal after installing or upgrading:
> > >
> > > $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`
> >

> > This works, at least partially. I always see the boot splash, but it
> seems
> > to dissappear before the system is fully started. I'm not sure if it's
> > because of errors during boot, but it doesn't seemt to always happen at
> the
> > same time.
>
> That's normal. As I mentioned above, it's not fully enabled yet, only
> enough to test whether the graphical display itself works well.

Cool, it's working.

> Yes, all the special keys seemed to work, although I wasn't able to bring
> > the laptop back up from a hibernate state.
>
> I'm afraid this doesn't give us enough information to diagnose the
> problem.

Yes, I knew this. This comment was meant more as a "Congratulations, the
hotkeys are all working" than an accusation about the hibernate not working.

I've investigated the sleeping/hibernation issue. Sleep works fine, you just
have to enable it by editing /etc/default/acpi-support. Is there a gui
configuration option for this somewhere that I've missed?

Hibernation is still not useable. It hibernates correctly, (at least from
what I can tell. The screen goes black, and after a few seconds the light
indicate that the computer is off. Once I hit the power button, it goes
through the normal post, then starts to boot, it looks normal until the
splash screen starts, at which point it quickly dissappears and I am left
with the following:
/scripts/init-premount/usplash:44 chmod: not found
/dev/cdrom: open failed: No medium found
Unable to find volume group hda1

At which point, I try to use CTRL-ALT-DEL, and get the following message:

No reboot fixup found for your hardware.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find this in the kernel logs, but here is a copy
/var/log/messages:
http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~weckerl/message-T23

Hopefully this provides enough information?

Does it hibernate with Hoary?

No, it didn't hibernate with Hoary, and I don't have the time to re-install
hoary to check it out.

Hopefully the info I provided will be enough. Keep up the good work. :)

Lakin