Breezy Badger milestone release "Colony 3" now available

Lakin Wecker lakin.wecker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:42:53 CDT 2005

This weekend I installed Colony 3 onto an IBM Thinkpad T23 that I had lying
around, waiting to be sold.

The install went really well, I was glad to see that the password dialogues
had been improved, and that the second stage installer had a progress bar.

On 8/17/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> If you test it, be sure to send us a report to
> ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com.
>
> There have been many improvements and bugfixes since Colony 2, but here
> are
> a few highlights:
>
> - The second stage installer now has a progress bar, rather than massive
> amounts of scrolling text

Very nice.

- The much-awaited USplash graphical boot feature is included; though its
> full functionality is not yet enabled, it displays a graphical boot
> screen and it is important for us to know that it works on a wide
> variety of hardware before proceeding. To activate it, run the
> following command in a terminal after installing or upgrading:
>
> $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

This works, at least partially. I always see the boot splash, but it seems
to dissappear before the system is fully started. I'm not sure if it's
because of errors during boot, but it doesn't seemt to always happen at the
same time.

- Special keys on laptops should work out of the box in more cases

Yes, all the special keys seemed to work, although I wasn't able to bring
the laptop back up from a hibernate state.

Unfortunately, I haven't had more time to fully test it, and will be needing
to get it ready to be sold.

Thanks for all the good work guys.

Lakin