Breezy Badger milestone release "Colony 3" now available

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 20 12:29:33 CDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 07:15:21PM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> Okay, so I burnt the ISO of the install CD and proceeded to wipe my
> updated Colony #2...
> To make it short, as feared (but kinda expected sadly...) X refused to
> start (I am writing this from Hoary...), tried to see the error message
> as prompted, but it froze solid as soon as I pressed "Yes, I wanna see
> what's wrong'.

File a bug (xserver-xorg) and attach /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Did it work with Colony 2?

> - I noticed that the installer spent a lot of time installing many Asian
> TTF fonts that I am unlikely to ever write with. Couldn't we save time
> by not installing these fonts, based on the country and language
> selected in the first steps of the install process ? Or are all these
> fonts necessary anyway, to display Asian web sites correctly or
> something ?

Fonts are not for writing, they are for reading (for example, yes,
displaying websites).

> That's it for the COlony #3 installer.  If X.org ever gets fixed before
> the release of Breezy, might be worth making a Colony #4 CD...

Problems like yours can only be discovered and fixed through users testing
on their own hardware and reporting bugs.

--
 - mdz