Breezy Badger milestone release "Colony 3" now available

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Aug 20 12:15:21 CDT 2005

On mer, 2005-08-17 at 13:46 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Colony CD 3, the third milestone release of the Breezy Badger development
> branch, is now available...

Okay, so I burnt the ISO of the install CD and proceeded to wipe my
updated Colony #2...
To make it short, as feared (but kinda expected sadly...) X refused to
start (I am writing this from Hoary...), tried to see the error message
as prompted, but it froze solid as soon as I pressed "Yes, I wanna see
what's wrong'. So I am only going to comment on the installer, which was
the only point of burning the Colony install CD in the first place
anyway.

Sadly (?) I don't have much to say, as I didn't get any real problem
with it !

- It looks as nice/crisp/neat as usual, especially with this new
progress bar screen in the second phase, which is truly brilliant.

- I have two hard drives in the machine, and in the partitioner I
noticed two more entries, related to 'LVM' stuff. I assume this is
normal, even if it looks a bit crowdy now in this menu I found. But then
again, it's difficult to add functionality in a ncurses UI, without
adding more text...

- I ran the 'CD integrity' test before installing, and noticed a little
UI annoyance : the window keeps changing dimensions every split second,
looks ugly and gives headaches ;-) It is apparently due to the length of
the strings, that are sometimes very long, so it wraps, and the window
gets redrawn/enlarged to accomodate the extra line. It would be good to
draw the window with this extra line to start with, so that it stays the
same size throughout the integrity test. Or, maybe do like it is done
during the file copying phase, ie : display only the package name, not
the full path.

- I noticed that the installer spent a lot of time installing many Asian
TTF fonts that I am unlikely to ever write with. Couldn't we save time
by not installing these fonts, based on the country and language
selected in the first steps of the install process ? Or are all these
fonts necessary anyway, to display Asian web sites correctly or
something ?

That's it for the COlony #3 installer.
If X.org ever gets fixed before the release of Breezy, might be worth
making a Colony #4 CD...

Regards,

--
Vince, now need to re-install Colony #2... ahh, the busy life of testers
lol ! ;o)