breezy: boot screen hosed

Alvin Thompson alvin-ubuntu at thompsonlogic.com
Fri Aug 19 19:08:09 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 00:40 +0100, Paul Sinnett wrote:
> I'm also getting this on an Acer Aspire 1362LC laptop. I use vga=773 as
> an option for install which works perfectly. But as soon as the machine
> reboots, the consoles disappear. Initially it worked with Colony-2, but
> it broke down when I upgraded to the latest kernel. It also fails with
> Colony-3, and I just upgraded the kernel again: still broken.

yup, i used vga=794 for the same reason. i can get you an working
console but the vga commands still don't work:

1. uninstall usplash. it forces you to also remove ubuntu-desktop
(temporary).
2. use this command:
    sudo mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-7-386
3. reinstall ubuntu-desktop/usplash
4. remove those "vga=..." references in your /boot/grub/menu.lst

that last parameter in step 2 (after the "-o") is the path to your
initramfs image. that's what mine is, but yours may be different if you
use a different kernel. verify it and change if needed. you'll probably
have to repeat this procedure for each new kernel.

hth,
alvin