Resyncing the archive with the seed lists

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 15 07:18:35 CDT 2005

On Mo, 2005-08-15 at 21:55 +1000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> Martin Pitt wrote:
> >
> >> o wwwconfig-common: wwwconfig-common
> >>   [Reverse-Depends: moodle]
> >>
> >>	Missing report (should probably be avoided in moodle; Adam, please
> >>	confirm)
as all (except some missing deps) edubuntu reports they are listed under
the url below since a day before feature freeze
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdubuntuMainInclusion

> > The intention of this package really makes sense, I would like to take
> > a look at it and evaluate it. Unfortunately my Debian activities were
> > quiet nonexistant recently (ENOTIME)... Something like this package is
> > required for web applications anyway, and Sean Finney did quite good
> > work on it AFAIK.
>
> Sean hasn't touched wwwconfig-common, actually, he's been proposing and
> trying to write a replacement that's actually policy compliant and
> doesn't mess willy-nilly with other packages' conffiles.
> wwwconfig-common, while a validly useful idea, is horribly implemented
> and can cause a large number of hard-to-diagnose problems.  If there's
> any way that moodle can be made to not require it, yet still install
> cleanly, this would really be preferable.
>
> Who is trying to get moodle seeded to main, and can they contact me and
> see if perhaps we can work together to sort it out to not require
> wwwconfig-common?
that'd be me... its a essential edubuntu component.

wwwconfig-common does only two things in moodle, creating the database
user and adding the DB, all further finegrained configuration is done
through its own webinterface (that sadly requires the user an DB to be
in place before) so if you got a secure and easy to implement way to
create both, i'm not opposed to drop this dependency.

moodle can run on postgres as well as on mysql, so the DB creation has
to work for both of them...

ciao
	oli (who wonders why everybody breaks this thread so reply
	     to list doest work)