Where are the minor X11 clients? xsetroot, xmodmap, xgamma, etc

jwbaker at acm.org jwbaker at acm.org
Mon Aug 15 01:58:47 CDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 11:17:03PM -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > One wonders what became of the lesser X11 clients during the great xorg
> > repackaging.  Of particular interest is xsetroot, whose current absence
> > in Breeze prevents vncserver from running.  There are others such as
> > xmodmap, glxinfo, and xgamma that are also handy.
>
> according to http://packages.ubuntu.com they are all in xbase-clients

Yes, but according to reality, they are not:

$ dpkg -L xbase-clients
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/xbase-clients
/usr/share/doc/xbase-clients/copyright
/usr/share/doc/xbase-clients/changelog.Debian.gz

There's nothing in xbase-clients 6.8.2-49.  Packages.ubuntu.com lists
contents in the package, but its information was last updated in May.
In fact, xbase-clients has been empty for 5 or 10 revisions at least.
I thought I was just left out of the joke, but now it's becoming a real
problem.

-jwb