Startup needs overhaul

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 06:09:02 CDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Mi, 2005-08-10 at 06:39 -0400, Zach wrote:
> > scripts.  Then run multiple dependency chains simultaneously.  So, for
> > example there are clearly things that are not dependent on networking,
> > so they could go ahead and initialize while networking is waiting on a
> > dhcp lease.
> thats exactly how its done in ubuntu since hoary, i have no machine
> around here that takes longer then 45 sec to boot... (35 is more common
> ciao
>         oli

I know for a fact on my hoary box, if the network is not connected, it
sits forever waiting for a lease.  I know that dhcp timeout is an
issue that is being addressed separately, but more importantly other
init scripts that do not depend on networking should go ahead and run
while networking sits in bg until completion.  Usually if I know I'm
not connected to the nework I just ^C the network script.

Zach