Startup needs overhaul

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 10 05:54:11 CDT 2005

hi,
On Mi, 2005-08-10 at 06:39 -0400, Zach wrote:
> Hasn't Red Hat been doing this for a while?  Not sure about this, so I
> could be wrong.  But I do remember reading a post on a mailing list or
> forum from one of the Red Hat devs about doing this that was a few
> years old (2002/3?).
yes, they released it around the hoary release which had similar
changes.
> The general idea was to identify dependency chains in the init
> scripts.  Then run multiple dependency chains simultaneously.  So, for
> example there are clearly things that are not dependent on networking,
> so they could go ahead and initialize while networking is waiting on a
> dhcp lease.
thats exactly how its done in ubuntu since hoary, i have no machine
around here that takes longer then 45 sec to boot... (35 is more common
on recent hardware)... the only way that comes to mind to make it even
faster would be to pop the kernel into the bios chip ;)

ciao
	oli