UbuntuExpress status: update

Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier juanje at interactors.coop
Tue Aug 9 00:33:36 CDT 2005

Hi ;-)

Well, at this moment we have some packages created for the UE. They are
not totally functionals, but very soon they will. I mean, the packages
are functionals, but some code's parts are not finished or fully tested.
We've structured the UE on these packages:
- ubuntu-express
- ubuntu-express-frontend (virtual package)
- ubuntu-express-artwork (virtual package)
- ubuntu-express-doc (virtual package)

In Ubuntu case:
- ubuntu-express-frontend-gtk
- ubuntu-express-ubuntu-artwork
- ubuntu-express-ubuntu-doc

With this structure we try to simplify the branding and the GUI change.

For our purpose, we also needed created others packages:
- Gparted (with some changes for well embeded into the installer)
- autopartman (this is no ready at this moment, but we're working on it.
At this moment we got the different partman-*.udeb and some dependencies
into *.deb, but we need to clean up of d-i stuff and put into a single
package)

The bootloader config is almost done. For this config and the network
config we use the 'setup-tool-backends', which are pretty good stuff and
very complete. We're working on improving the bootloader config for
Windows cases with extra work, but the most of the work is already done.

As we were fighting with the partman udeb packages and their
dependences, we need a bit more time to integrate the partman-auto into
the UE. But we're close to fix that.

We've improved the Gtk interface, this is one of the reason why we
aren't finished yet. Although the interface is not totally finished
(just because we want tomorrow try some ideas), it's going to be
tomorrow, and it's going to be a really user friendly GUI ;-)

As I said before, there are some packages and the most of the code is
almost done, but we need to test the whole app in a real system. It was
a problem for us with the Ubuntu Live with problems to boot in our
machines and so on, but we'll try to do something about it tomorrow.

So tomorrow (9th), after we finished some of those parts and
shorted/cleaned up the code, we'll ship to the installer team a group of
packages. Then they will decide what to do with them.

In a couple of days we will need a lot of people testing the installer,
so... ;-)

Cheers

--
   \|/  interactors              | juanje arroba interactors.coop
  \|/    |_ activando redes      | http://interactors.coop