unison slows my laptop down

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Mon Aug 8 04:40:10 CDT 2005

Hello!

Synchronising laptop with desktop slows the laptop incredibly down!
On the laptop runs Hoary and on the desktop Debian Sarge. I run
unison(-gtk) from the laptop. I watch the processes on the laptop
from the desktop via ssh. There is no CPU consuming process. And
there is no special directory that causes the slown down; with every
new unison run it stops at different stages. There's nothing
conspicuous in the log files---at least for me. The laptop LED for
the HDD is constantly glowing. And it makes no difference if I use
unison in the shell or unison-gtk.

I can't login via ssh, the laptop doesn't react but pings are
immediately answered. I can kill the X server by 'Ctrl Alt Del' but
it lasts 50 seconds until the short cut takes effect.

If I run unison from the first console (Ctrl Alt F1) it succeeds! I
don't have a glue what's going wrong here. Any ideas on the list?
Which information is useful for investigation?

Best regards,
	Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)