Nonauthenticated packages in universe

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 3 15:28:57 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:09:53PM +0100, Tristan Wibberley wrote:
> I went to bugzilla, but I couldn't see a proper way to enter this as a bug.
>
> There are several packages in universe right now that are NONAUTHENTICATED:
>
> eclipse-ecj
> hsqldb-server
> libhsqldb-java
> perlmagick
> prcs
> prcs-el
>
> Synaptic is not telling me anymore that anything is nonauthenticated.

Individual packages are not authenticated; the entire package archive is
authenticated (and therefore all packages in the archive are either
authenticated or not, in one step).

> Is this just an administrative oversight? Is it a real compromise on
> uk.archive.ubuntu.com, security.ubuntu.com or archive.ubuntu.com?

It's working fine for me, and I've seen no other reports of authentication
failures.

> Is there a reason that Synaptic has stopped warning me that I am trying
> to install nonauthenticated packages? Should this be filed as a bug or
> could this be something more sinister?

Copying Michael Vogt, who looks after Synaptic.

--
 - mdz