OT - Building a Linux dev team

Christoffer Olsen co at deworks.net
Wed Apr 27 16:11:33 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 14:52 -0600, jobs at ciberforce.net wrote:
> All;
>
> First let me apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this request. If
> I'm out of line let me know (preferrably without flaming me)
>
> I've been in talks with a group of folks interested in starting a new
> Linux/Debian based company. This new company to be successful will need the
> ability to pull off the following:
>
> 1) Creation of a new distro based on key specific features of various distros
> available today

Hm. You say in 2) that you want to vastly improve the Linux games today,
which is a needed thing of course. Why not settle with improving
existing distributions as well? Ubuntu has an excellent development, and
I think it would be much more rewarding to either help develop, derive,
or both, on Ubuntu (or a different distro of choice).

> 2) Creation of new Linux games or vastly improvement on the Linux games
> available today
>
> Here's my questions:
>
> 1) How / where do I find and recruit top notch Linux kernel, application and
> game developers?
>
> 2) How would we best go about soliciting open source developers to help us out
> and what's the best way to manage these type of development processes ?

I haven't had much experiment in recruiting, but I'd go about trying to
get to know the communities you want people from, and ask them to send
you their resume if interested. That's how I've seen recruitment
normally done. Try to figure out what exactly you want to do, and post
it to a few mailing lists without spamming. Of course, things as Google
AdSense enables you to show an ad at the right site as well.

Chris