Unlucky install report

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 14 10:52:13 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:42:19PM +0300, Peter Damoc wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:48:28 +0300, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:59:32AM +0300, Peter Damoc wrote:

> >>The problem is abnormal times at boot-up (it hangs on time
> >>synchronisation).
> >
> >So you have a local network, but it is not connected to the Internet?
>
> I only have a computer in a room, completely isolated :D

If your network interface is not configured, ntpdate should abort
immediately, and not time out.

> About the 7 steps... I think I expressed myself wrong.
> I didn't mean that the d-i doen't do those 7 steps, but that it does them
> sequentialy. What I wanted was for the installer to do them all upfront!
> instead of
> step1->some time consuming action ->step2-> some time consuming action ->
> step3 -> some time consuming action... etc.
> maybe something like:
> step1->step2->step3...step7-> a big time consuming action
> think about this steps as being presented in one screen upfront.
> think about some kind of notebook widget with the tabs on the left, in
> each tab there is the name of the step and some short description with the
> page of the tab containting some configuration options.
> There is no fast flashy weird package names apearing on the screen too
> fast for the human eye to read them, only a progress bar with 7 stages...
> maybe color coded ;)

We would like to simplify the installer, and we have been working for most
of the past year to do that.  The changes that you suggest are not as simple
as they might appear on the surface; there are deeply rooted reasons why the
system works the way that it does, and major development effort would be
required to make these kinds of changes.

It helps to think in terms of "how do we get from here to there?" rather
than "why aren't we there yet?"

--
 - mdz