Unlucky install report

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 14 09:48:28 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:59:32AM +0300, Peter Damoc wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:17:08 +0300, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >It does not assume any such thing; please describe the problem that you
> >experienced rather than suggesting a possible cause.
>
> The problem is abnormal times at boot-up (it hangs on time
> synchronisation).

So you have a local network, but it is not connected to the Internet?

> >http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DebuggingXAutoconfiguration
> >

> I know I'm naive BUT couldn't the installer present the user with its
> intents and after the users OKs that proceed unattended?

The installer tries to do the right thing, and only ask a question if it
cannot determine the right thing automatically.  One of its guiding
principles is to interact with the user as little as possible.  New
questions are not added to the installer without strong justification.

If you really want more questions, choose the expert install.

> 1. Packet selection (what will be installed): default Basic Desktop

There are only two choices: base and desktop, and you select at the very
beginning of the install (boot: prompt).

> 3. Display: the detected video card and monitor with the default
> resolution. Again... let the user alter this settings. Consider the fact
> that there is a great posibility that the user knows the monitor target
> resolution so present the monitors like "Standard SVGA monitor that can do
> 800x600 at 75 Hz" or "Standard 17'' LCD with 1280x1024". Also provide for
> people that know their monitor can do more but they want less (people that
> prefere lower resolutions for some reason)

This question is asked, but only if the monitor is unable to provide this
information.  Consider that many users _don't_ know.

> 4. Locale: Timezone, language (this could automaticaly alter the step1
> like in "Basic Desktop de"
> 5. Input devices: Keyboard layout and mice (should default to the selected
> language layout but allow for other input)

The installer already asks about these.

> 6. Network: default DHCP with the posibility to select "No Network",
> "Default local network - class C IP" (IP:192.168.0.x, netmask
> 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.1), "Full Manual"

The default install tries DHCP, and if it succeeds, it assumes that you want
to use DHCP.  Using static configuration on a DHCP network is at best a
corner case, and at worst an error.  Nonetheless, I believe you have this
choice in the expert install.

> 7. username/password

The installer already asks this, even in the default installation mode.

> Consider the fact that people may come from windows and expect certain
> things. for example I find it tedious to have to time my username all the
> time. Couldn't there be a list like in the windows login? Also... a lot of
> computer have physical security, that means none can get access to the
> keyboard, or maybe there is a public computer that could have a root
> password and a guest passwordless account. maybe "Automatic Login " could
> be enabled in step 7.

A GUI configuration tool is available which could be used to enable this if
the user wants it.  It would be unwise to choose an insecure default.

> why do I have to press Enter to start the installation, I could be
> presented with the 7 steps screen automaticaly, there is no harm done, I
> can allways press "Cancel"

The first prompt is necessary, because in some situations the user must
specify parameters in order to allow the installer to boot on their
hardware.

> Another dream I have is the One Phase Install, why the heck isn't this
> possible?  is like a Live CD but with an installation. I pop in the CD, it
> presents me with a choice of either start it LIVE or install it on my
> computer

This is how the DVD works; it provides both installation and live modes on a
single disc.

> and... after some short time I use the system. If the installation was
> chosen, after the necessary information is provided, the Live CD part
> starts providing the user with a usable Desktop meanwhile in a background
> thread the installer copies the needed files on the HDD, maybe a progress
> bar could show the status of the install, meanwhile the user can access
> the internet (if available), play a game or read some documentation. Every
> document he creates is saved on his future home dir (partitioning should
> be the first step of instalation so by the time the LiveCD is active there
> should be a place available). Changes the user does are saved in his home
> dir and the next time he starts the computer...  everything works without
> the CD...  I realise that such a dream has little chances of coming true
> because most developers consider the installation as a one time thing and
> what the heck, the user can wait 45 min or the user can do a reboot, is
> not that hard. Meanwhile the user still feels like in the stone age, "Why,
> oh why, do I have to do that?"

Now you're describing a live-CD-based installer.  If you're again asking
"why the heck isn't this possible?", it is possible, of course.  It simply
hasn't been written yet.

--
 - mdz