modem support

azz dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Wed Apr 13 19:03:21 CDT 2005

"Is there actually still hardware that won't just work with the alsa
driver? All the kit I have that works with sl-modem-daemon doesn't
need
the modules package now."

The plan as I understand it is for the alsa driver to be developed and
the proprietary module to be dropped, but it is still not working for
all modems.  In that respect, the dependancies for the sl-modem-daemon
need to be changed to reflect this, though.  You cannot install the
daemon without the sl-modem-source or the sl-modem-modules-new
packages.

"Unfortunately, the best that can be hoped for for sl-modem-daemon is
be in restricted - it's hopelessly non-free."

Linux-restricted modules is in ship and it is non-free.  As I
understand it, Smart link does not prohibit the distribution of this
version of the driver.

--
azz