OT: Mark made my day!

Cameron Hutchison camh+ubuntu at xdna.net
Tue Apr 12 18:28:02 CDT 2005

Once upon a time Thom Holwerda said...

> > 1. I disagree with this and happen to dislike macos style of menus. I
> > also question there overall usablity (a bigger issue)
>
> Well, I happen to agree with him here for the full 100%. I've never been
> fond of the
> "every-window-needs-to-have-a-menubar-for-no-reason-other-than-it's-
> the-current-paradigm-whether-it's-the-right-paradigm-or-not" ;).

One problem with the menu-bar-at-the-top-of-the-screen paradigm is it
conflicts with a standard and common focus model that many X window
managers use - focus follows mouse. If you need to pass over other
windows to get to the menubar, the application for which you want to use
the menubar will lose focus and the menubar will change.

Having used both click-to-focus and focus-follows-mouse, I find the
latter to be more useable and efficient. Click-to-focus also has the
problem of being modal. That first click in a window can have different
behaviour to a second click in exactly the same spot, depending on where
the focus is. Being a focus-follows-mouse person for most of my GUI
experience, I find click-to-focus unnerving - I always have to find a
benign spot to click when I want to change focus due to the cognitive
dissonance caused by clicking on something but have it do nothing.

I'm not arguing, just presenting another point of view.