OT: Mark made my day!

Peter Damoc pdamoc at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 09:28:13 CDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:27:27 +0300, H. C. Brugmans <hcbrugmans at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Peter Damoc wrote:
>> I was just about to post a bug report!
>> In my impulsiveness I wanted to start this email about 3-4 times with
>> tiles like "Bug report", "Big bug report", "Great bug report"...
>> however I  controlled myself and read the entire page only to find that
>> I don't need  to post the bug report anymore.
>>  http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu
>>  Great stuff! Now only if those bugs could be fixed in time for Breezy
>> ;)
>>  Peter.
>>
> It's hilarious. :)

It might be a little funny to you or me BUT looking from my mother's
perspective (about a year in using computers, over 50 years old) is not
that funny, perfectly valid points. He looks from a different perspective
and that's great because developers seldom succed in doing that, just look
at some of the FAQ you've read, how may are FAQ and how may are what
developers think user might ask?

I'll give you one more example.
If I were to whine about the fact that by default Ubuntu has only one
wallpaper and 10.000 useless ugly screensavers you'd think I'm crazy BUT
  from a certain point of view that's valid.
Why don't we have a nice set of wallpapers and a nice, small, set of
screensavers. Don't install every screensaver available, use only a select
few.
Provide some choice in wallpaper right from the start... maybe some nice
scenery or maybe some cute kittens. Is not like you have to waste a lot of
time maintaining those JPGs... you can even have a poll about what to
include. My mom treated the installing of a wallpaper on her work computer
with the same seriousness as I might treat installing a vital app.

Peter.