Some criticismes

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 10 10:21:56 CDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 01:55:46PM +0200, VETSEL Patrice wrote:

> 2/
> Apt applet can't be configured to update at desired time

How do you mean?  At a particular time of day, or (e.g.) once per week
rather than once per day?  The latter is likely to be implemented in the
future.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/optimised-packages

> 9/
> I know that there is not such place on the cd. So what not an extra
> software cd ?

We feel that a single-disc installation is advantageous, and do not plan to
create a second CD of packages.

A DVD image is available which contains all software in main.

> 10/
> Could you consider to include NVU / Blender+Yafray on défault
> installation, o just package NVU.

You may add NVU to http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniverseCandidates

It does not seem appropriate for the default installation, nor does a
raytracer.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/SeedManagement explains how we select
software for the default install.

> 11/
> At the very first launch of gnome, a wizard may pop up helping
> configuration of gnome and finding help on Ubuntu  (explanation of
> synaptic,ubuntuguide...)

This kind of UI creates unnecessary obstacles for users.  The help icon in
the initial panel is discoverable enough.

> 12/
> Prelink is not used or installed. Why not ?

The disadvantages outweight the advantages.

> 13/
> DMA is not activated on many pc. No easy interface to manage/see drives
> on the pc. A right click on a drive should offer us to activate DMA
> (editing /etc/hdparm.conf)

DMA is automatically enabled on hard disks where it is known to be safe.

--
 - mdz