Another extremely urgent nVidia driver testing request

Frederik Dannemare frederik at dannemare.net
Mon Apr 4 08:27:37 CDT 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 14:52, Carl Karsten wrote:
> Frederik Dannemare wrote:
> > Well, first of all, with some option enabled (forget what it's
> > called - NvLogo?) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf you don't see the logo.
> > Another thing to check in xorg.xonf is whether it has Driver "nv"
> > or Driver "nvidia" (latter is the proprietary driver).
>
> Ok, so I need to fix xorg.conf?
>
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go]"
>          # Driver                "nv"
>          Driver          "nvidia"
>          BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection

Looks ok. You use the nvidia module as you should. No need to edit.

> Should this have been done for me?  (I don't mind - O don't even
> really care, just trying to help test.)

It's already been done (the change from nv to nvidia).

> >>Is there a shell command that will report if I am using the binary
> >>drivers?
> >
> > Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> It is there. ;)  What am I looking for?

If it cannot load or initialize the nvidia module, I think it says
something akin to "Could not initialize/load nvidia module".

> > Also, check if the nvidia module is loaded: lsmod|grep nvidia
>
> root at tsp2b:~ # lsmod|grep nvidia
> (nothing)

OK, do "modprobe nvidia" + "echo nvidia >>/etc/modules" (the latter will
make sure the nvidia module is automatically loaded upon reboots). This
should be all you need to do, since your xorg.conf looks ok.

B/R,
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik at dannemare.net
http://frederik.dannemare.net | http://www.linuxworlddomination.dk
Key fingerprint = 30CF 7AD3 17D9 1A63 A730  ECA6 0D4C 2C97 9D9A 238E