Spatial mess prevention

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 3 05:17:23 CDT 2005

<quote who="sanjeevdas">

> > This *completely* decimates the entire point of having an interface
> > based on spatial familiarity principles. Instead of using spatial mode
> > at all, you should just switch to browser mode.
>
> Haven't we already decimated the spatial familiarity principles here?

Not really - after all, the folders are still unique objects displayed
within the space. So it's definitely still spatial, the problem is that it
hammers a bunch of corner cases.

> Spatial mode is useful when doing file management as opposed to file
> browsing. It is neccessary to have the two windows open to drag drop files
> betwen them. Now there is no way to do this since I can have only one
> window.

At least when using the mouse, shift-double and double-middle reverse the
close-behind. But there are plenty of corner case interactions where this is
*not* reversed, which is a big problem.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

     "Free software never simply picks up its marbles and goes home." -
                            Jonathan Corbet, LWN