unbootable system when installing on the second hard drive on G5

Aurélien Naldi aurelien.naldi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 07:07:55 CST 2005

Hi,

first thanks for making hoary such a great release, I've been using it
for a while on i386 and really like it. yesterday I had a hard time
installing it at work on a G5 (my first install of a linux distro on
powerPC): this seems to be a known bug but installing on the second
(SATA) drive on powerPC seems to only result in an unbootable system
(with hoary RC).

I'm not used to openfirmware and yaboot, so it took me a while to
figure out how to boot on the newly installed system:

the openfirmware script had a partial path to the first drive in the
bootyaboot command, changing
k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 0/disk at 0 to something like
k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 1/disk at 0

didn't solve the problem, I had to put
/ht at 0,f2000000/pci at 5/k2-sata-root at c/k2-sata at 1/disk at 0

the autogenerated yaboot.conf had the same problem, putting the same
line in it finaly allowed me to boot, not really painless

note: this is not the real line I had to put, only the one I found on
the net that helped me to understand the problem (from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/02/msg00099.html)

can anything be done to solve this for the release (at least putting
some understandable explanations somewhere on the wiki) ?
I can give you more info on the hardware next week if needed, but I
dunno if I'll be able to do another install on it...

PS: after the first succesfull boot, everything is working well except
the sound card (I ran the device database tool on it, nicely done)

regards

--
aurelien naldi