Userlinux and Progeny

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Tue Sep 21 18:01:48 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 07:53:38PM -0300, Fábio Mendes wrote:

> Wouldn't it be very logical if Ubuntu would share (at binary level) the
> Base Seed packages and even the d-i sources with Userlinux? And the same
> with Progeny's componets linux? This way bugs could be tracked and
> resolved more quickly in both lands and specially hardware detection
> issues would have a faster treatment.

Ubuntu is an open source project, and our so our code is shared with
everyone else, but it doesn't make much sense to share binaries, since those
projects (like Ubuntu) will make changes to customise their distribution.

> This would also set a great de facto standard for modern debian based
> distros and force debian structure to absorve most of
> Ubuntu/Progeny/Userlinux achievements and decisions faster (like gnome 2.8
> debs or using X.org instead of XFree86, for example).

Trying to force Debian to do anything, or to do anything faster, has never
been a successful approach. :-)

--
 - mdz