IS this the correct place to post a bug?

Darren Critchley darrenc at telus.net
Thu Oct 21 09:48:14 CDT 2004

While it is not a fault of Ubuntu, I thought I would mention it here.
Xfree86Config does generate a problem with some monitors, mainly the
ones it cannot figure out, while this is an XFree problem, I thought I
would post it even though the plans are to move to the other X project.

When Xfree86 cannot figure out your brand of monitor it will place a
generic statement in the config file. In the case of my monitor, a Sampo
761 based model which comes up as a 17" Monitor.
The problem is, it actually writes the config file as "17" Monitor" as
you can guess, the line becomes truncated at the second " and Xfree86
will not start. This actually happens across all Linuxes, and I am aware
of the problem, however, newbie to Ubuntu might not be so savvy.

Anyways, it is an Xfree problem, but I thought I would bring it to your
attention as there are going to be some Ubuntu users out there that will
encounter this problem, and they cannot be expected to edit the
Xfee86Config-4 file to get X started.

Darren