Proposal for ubuntu-debugscripts package

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Oct 20 01:54:34 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 08:49:44AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:

> Oliver Grawert [2004-10-19 22:52 +0200]:
> > regarding that a good bunch of debugging tasks happens repeatedly in
> > -users where the user has to issue a lot of commandline tasks (lspci,
> > dmesg...) collecting files (/var/log/foo, /etc/fstab...) and data from
> > the system hardware.
> > wouldn't it be a good idea to have a script for each of the major common
> > debugging tasks (X, hal/g-v-m, ide, scsi ...) with a descriptive name
> > that collects the respective info and drops it into a .debug/.tgz file
> > on the users desktop ? the user would be able to run it via the "Run
> > Command" menuoption and then just had to drag/drop the result to the
> > mailer.
>
> That's actually a good idea, I will write up such a thing for the
> hal/g-v-m stuff. Including it in a package might be done for Hoary (if
> at all), but by now the folks could just download it.  I will link the
> script from the relevant FAQ entry.

The right way to do this is to include hook scripts in packages which
collect package-specific information for trouble reports.  reportbug already
supports this (see /usr/share/bug), and until such time as we have a proper
bug reporting tool, we could provide a small tool which only runs the hook
script for a particular package to collect the information.

--
 - mdz