Ubuntu postinstalation notes

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski emil.oppeln.bronikowski at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 13:43:11 CDT 2004

 After two days of downloading (All mirrors from wiki was very, VERY
slow;() Im typing this from XFce4/Ubuntu. I went with expert-custom
option, because I wanted to have my own set of packages. Why? Because
I like to fit desktop OS in less than 520mb. :-> Here's my df -h

 /dev/hdc2              14G  512M   14G   4% /

 Ok, now for the desktop. It feels very snapy. I do not know why,
becasue Im running Slackware on same computer (2.6.8.1 also) and it
XFce feels slower. Or it's maybe because I've changed disk to new one?
Nevermind why, I like it. :-)

 Question: could we add some sort of metapackage that will get
packages needed to fulfil some sort of task? Imagine: Im installing
,,custom'' Ubuntu, and after that Im perforiming apt-get install
{tinydesktop,mediumdesktop,server,consolegeek}

 Tinydesktop: XF86 + Fluxbox/Ion + Firefox + Mail Client
 Mediumdesktop: XF86 + XFce + Firefox + Thunderbird/Evolution
 Server: Apache + MySQL/PgSQL + POP3 + Samba + ...
 Consolegeek: screen + links + mutt + mp3blaster + ...

 And for the last notice: small rant ;-) Because I've installed XF
from custom (first I've got XFce4 (I wonder why Ubuntu/Debian packages
don't want to fetch whole XF86. It's rather hard to use XF4 without
XF86, so I think apt-get install WM should bring everything from XF86
servers to fonts)) then I decited I'd go for some nudity (wink, wink)
so I apt-get gdm. Then I had to get rest of the XF86 system and I was
ready to go (because of transfer it took almost whole day;-). When I
first time typed startx I've got Gnome splashscreen (hint: there
should be no Gnome parts, unless they came with some deps and I've
missed'em) and failed to start. I had no problem with getting my own
.xinitrc that runs XFce4 but why Gnome was default WM to start after
startx? Shouldn't XFce4 configuration (after installation) change
everything in it favor?

 Anyway, thanks for Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Im going to play with it. :->

--
 Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski, opi on freenode/#ubuntu :-)
 http://opi.pegasos.pl