Issues with sound quality

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at canonical.com
Sat Oct 9 09:37:55 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 19:21 +1000, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> <quote who="ggi at st-andrews.ac.uk">
> > I mentioned this on #ubuntu-devel, but it appeared to go unacknowledged.
> > Basically, Rhythmbox introduces nasty (occasional) hissing when playing
> > music. Of course, this isn't the fault of Rhythmbox. I remember a
> > gstreamer problem I had on Debian a while ago that caused similar, if
> > not identical, behaviour. I believe that was fixed though. Listening to
> > the esd output test in gstreamer-properties the hissing and such can be
> > heard quite clearly.
>
> It sounds like a mixer problem - have you tried turning down the PCM and/or
> Master mixer sliders slightly?

The popping can also be caused by hardware clock problems.  Try
disabling ntp, and see if that works better.  I also remember fixing a
computer one time that had an onboard battery dead that caused problems
with sound (though, I'm sure that is a rare cause).

Do you know what soundcard you have?

Nathaniel