default editor (Re: emacs in default selection ?)

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Thu Oct 7 03:05:13 CDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Fábio Mendes wrote:
> Why two console editors? Why not just link vi to nano? It's as simple as
> a  ln -s /etc/alternatives/editor /usr/bin/nan. I think this is the best
> option, but I'm biased though I can't stand vim. Personaly I use mcedit.
> It has nice features like syntax highlight yet is very intuitive to use.

>From the responses, it sounds like setting this alternative would stop the
command 'vi' from bringing up a vi clone. I thought setting the *editor*
would affect the default editor the user faces when they don't get to
choose their favourite. The people who feel nano isn't enough can run
update-alternatives --config editor

Considering the automatic line wrap, there is an option 'nowrap' in
/etc/nanorc. I haven't needed syntax highlight, but there seems to be
options regarding that as well.

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
                http://www.iki.fi/Tuukka.Hastrup/
                IRCNet: Stugge/tuukkah @#pii,#fenfire,#ynna
                Jabber ID: tuukka at jabber.org, ICQ #11321669