d-i presseding

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 4 03:43:41 CDT 2004

    >> > what about fai for mass installations?
    >>
    >> I don't believe it's been ported to debian-installer. Willing to be
    >> proven wrong.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]

FAI will not be ported to the debian-installer or included into
it. These are two different approaches for installations. Currently
d-i focuses on being small and modular and the main reason is that d-i
is made for an interactive installation. It also only installs a base
system that can be booted, and does not install (and configure) all
your software packages. This has to be done after the first reboot
manually.

FAI does not ask you any questions and installs all packages, so you
have a ready to go system after the installation. Also FAI includes a
class system to better support mass installations which are mostly
equal but different in some parts. This is also missing in d-i.

--
regards Thomas (author of FAI)