Toshiba Fn-Fx

Santiago Erquicia santiago_erquicia at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Oct 3 15:40:22 CDT 2004

Hi,

I wanted to let the laptop team know about a program that makes toshiba
notebooks work the Fn-Fx keys.  This is important for these notebooks
because, for example, is the only way to change the display brightness.
You don't have any other way to do this.

First of all, when you reply to this email do it with me as CC since I'm
not subscribed to the list.

The program works with the toshiba acpi extensions.  For example, to
change the brightness without this program you need to execute:

echo "brightness:6" > /proc/acpi/toshiba/lcd

where 6 is the brightness level you want.

The website of the program in question is http://fnfx.sourceforge.net/
They even have a debian package since the author uses it.

The functionality is (taken from their website):
    - brightness up
    - brightness down
    - toggle fan
    - toggle video(*)
    - suspend to ram (*)
    - suspend to disk (*)
    - volume up
    - volume down
    - volume mute

(*) = heavily hardware and/or kernel depended.

I don't know how you actually know if the notebook is a toshiba or not
but it would be great that if it is this program would be installed by
default in those cases.  I know that you are in freeze mode but it could
be for the next release.

Thanks,
Santiago