Accessibility Team

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at gotadsl.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 06:07:49 CDT 2004

Hi,

Reading Mako's summary of the Community Council Meeting, I see that my
name was mentioned in connection with a possible accessibility team.
This is clearly something that I'm interested in and would like to help
get going. (for those who don't know me, I have a neck injury, which
means that I do all my typing with a mouth-stick and use a 'Head-mouse')
The main feature I need from an operating system is 'sticky-keys', which
means that when you press Shift, Ctrl, or Alt, it stays down until the
next key is pressed. I clearly know about my own requirements, but I
should also look into access for the blind, etc.

I've installed several sounder-CD versions, and not had any problems
with the install process. I'll test early versions of the new graphical
installer too, to make sure it's possible to navigate the whole thing
without a mouse or Shift/Alt/Ctrl.

I also easily found the features I needed in Gnome, and they seem to
work well. Both Gnome and KDE seem to cater quite well these days. I'll
do some more testing with non-gnome apps though, because that's often
where the problems arise. In the past I've often had to download Dan
Linder's AccessX, which seems to work on all of X, and disable the built
in DE sticky-keys.

Another key issue is having support for some rather obscure hardware,
such as braille-readers or special mouse and keyboard set-ups. I for
instance use a special serial mouse that has issues with some operating
systems.

Anyway, enough of the details. How do we proceed? I guess I should
contact Sivan Green, who also seems interested, and start setting up a
wiki page.

- Henrik