Pegasos PowerPC

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sat Oct 2 09:57:44 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:54:39PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 06:57:06AM +0200, Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski wrote:
> >  Pegasos itself is based on Marvell chipset, eq. with G3/G4 CPU, build
> > on MicroATX board with USB, Firewire, Gigaethernet, 10/100 Ethernet,
> > IRDA, ATA100 & PS/2. It runs Linux already, as well as MorphOS,
> > Genesi's OS witch is non-POSIX, powerfull & fast pice of software with
> > his roots in AmigaOS (it's API/ABI comaptible).
> >
> >  Because of Genesi's cooporation with Freescale, they have introduce
> > Pegasos Open Desktop Workstation ( http://pegasosppc.com/odw.php ).
> >
> >  As you can see, there's a lots of Linux in Pegasos world. Is there
> > any chance that Pegasos-specific port of Ubuntu could be started?
>
> Since we already support the CPU architecture, it should only be a matter of
> driver support in order for Ubuntu to run on this system (it shouldn't
> require a separate port).  There is already some Pegasos-specific code in
> the kernel, though I don't know how complete it is.
>
> Have you tried installing Ubuntu on such a machine yet?

I'm apparently going to be getting a Pegasos reasonably soon. Making the
powerpc port run on it won't happen for Warty, but assuming it doesn't
take too much effort away from other things I should imagine it'll be
possible later.

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]