ubuntu aims (Re: Idea for expanded support of some non-free software

Philippe Landau lists at mailry.net
Tue Nov 30 01:05:44 CST 2004

Jeff Waugh wrote:
>>my question is genuine.
>>since reading about ubuntu on distrowatch,
>>i always wondered what the main goals of this distro are.
>>the publicity suggested it is making
>>an easily usable OS for the simple user,
>>what i saw pointed more to complete debian's ambition,
>>there were scant hints the goal would be future profitability,
>>and there was the crucial promise to keep it
>>free of charge, including support.
>>it would be great if the real priorities and aims were published.
> Our priorities and aims are published on the website and
> reiterated in these threads on the development list.
rereading http://ubuntulinux.org/ there is nothing
that sets it apart from other linux distros except:
- "brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world."
there are guiding principles and rules listed, and
the main aim seems to be:
- "to make Ubuntu usable by as many people as possible."
the other points are all important promises to keep what
you already built and do.

if this is the goal you are working at,
the priority would be ease of use by simple users.
so the most important projects would be those
that average users want to use most:
office, internet, multimedia and games.
of these, multimedia is the one lacking most,
so it would justify the biggest attention.