Some critics about Ubuntu

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Mon Nov 29 02:15:11 CST 2004

<quote who="debian_noob at web.de">

> 2) The installation: It was easy. It was too easy. It was so easy that I
> thought while my comp was working hard with selecting and installing
> packages that I missed to answer a question of the installer right.  The
> installer went to install a big bunch of packages without telling me what
> has to be installed. And without giving me the selection process.  Hey
> guys, where is tasksel in Ubuntu? Why didn't you make the selection finer
> for tasksel and give the user many possibilities to install his machine?
> Something like: only console, with X11, only console with dev tools, with
> X11 and dev tools and so on...There are many thinkable possibilities.

You can type 'custom' at the installer boot prompt to just install the base
system, but we do not provide package selection in the installer at all. We
feel it is better to install a satisfyingly equipped desktop (or base)
system, and provide great tools within that system. The desktop install is
not overwhelmingly large, and does not include wildly irrelevant software.

> 3) "Professional" Services from the start up: So I went through the
> installation (which was not hard as I told already) and I booted into
> Ubuntu. What did my eyes see? From the install up there were services like
> LVM and RAID configured and started.  Please disable these things for the
> normal install. Because there are many people who install on low profile
> machines as I did it and they didn't need LVM,RAID AND the people who need
> these things are experienced enough to make the settings later.

If your system doesn't actively use these features, the start up scripts do
essentially nothing. It is not a significant cost to include or run the
software, and it means we have better system and hardware support for these
kinds of requirements.

> 5) Gnome: I don't know why, but the settings for the login-screen and the
> desktop was different for me. The login-screen was at "12xx x 10xx" and
> the destop was "1024x768" right after the installation. Maybe you have to
> look after the packages to make a litte patch.

Strange, that generally only happens when the GNOME RandR stuff is set by
the user. It should not happen on first log in. Have you been able to
reproduce this?

Thanks, I'm sure someone else will answer your other suggestions. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

                       Wake up and smell the penguin.