Dropping support for Mozilla suite?

Tom von Schwerdtner tomvons at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 12:07:58 CST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 04:29:24 -0600, psychoelmo <psychoelmo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:05:54 +0100, Martin Pitt
>
> <martin.pitt at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Hi Ubuntu folks!
> >
> > In Tuesday's community we discussed about the future of Mozilla. The
> > Mozilla foundation seems to fade out support for the legacy Mozilla
> > suite (packages mozilla-browser and mozilla-mailnews) in favor of the
> > splitted new FireFox and Thunderbird packages.
> >
> > Therefore we would like to confine our attention to the new programs
> > and drop support for Mozilla in Hoary if there are no serious
> > regressions.
> >
> > So we have a question to the community: are there any advantages that
> > you see for Mozilla that FireFox/Thunderbird do not have? Would you
> > seriously miss Mozilla if we dropped support for it?

We also need to be sure that no 3rd party (proprietary) applications
would require mozilla to be installed, though I think 3rd party
mozilla based apps generally ship with the whole enchilada (eg Active
State's Komodo)... thought I'd mention it though.

-Tom

--
Tom von Schwerdtner
Etria, LLP :: Open Source Solutions