Discussion destillation: Options for language packs

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Fri Nov 19 08:28:41 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 14:00 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Fellows!
>
> I went through Tuesday's IRC discussion again and wrote up a
> structured overview about the possible alternatives, their pros (+)
> and cons (+). Please look over it and add any argument that I forgot
> and correct anything that seems wrong to you.
>
> Personally I believe that option (F4) is the way to go. It avoids all
> package insanities and seems most flexible to me.
>
> Let's open the discussion!

The option I really love is a mix of F2-1 and F2-3, we have a global
package per language but based on tasks or groups of packages, for
instance base-l10n-XX, gnome-l10n-XX, server-l10n-XX, etc...

The problem with F4 is that we are not limited to .po files, in GNOME we
handle all translations with .po files but then, we have .xml files
and .desktop files that come with translations and are generated from
the .po files so it's not just a bunch of po files. Well, this "problem"
applies to any solution you think on.

The other proposal I like is just the F2-3, the number of packages will
be really high, true, but as you said, we could solve it with different
archives (one per language) so people just selects the languages they
want to install into their system.

Of course, the F6 option in clear for me, Spanish is the best language
that fits the requirements, you will learn Spanish in the next
conference at Mataró and there are many people in Europe and America
that speak Spanish as his/her mother language :-)

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Ubuntu Warty (PowerPC)  => http://www.ubuntulinux.org