when you receive a file with xchat this is placed in ~/.xchat2 wouldn't ~/download/ be better?

Lorenzo E. Danielsson lorenzo at aponkye.com
Wed Nov 17 06:12:48 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 19:08 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 16.11.2004, 17:26 +0000 schrieb Lorenzo E. Danielsson:
> > > Using ~/Desktop as the default location is the only sane choice IMO.
> > > Files downloaded to the desktop are immediately accessible and can
> > > easily be moved afterwards if the user so desires (most likely without
> > > having to open any nautilus windows).  Any other solution would
> > > either:
> >
> > Do you want me to go to the desktop and sit and drag and drop every time
> > I download something? I'm sure you don't mean that. I've just
> > misunderstood you.
>
> as i am using nautilus in its default setup and want to actually manage
> (in oppsition to browse) my files with the filemanager it is annoying to
> have a extra folder on my desktop that i would have to open and
> drag/drop my files from there to other folders. and i guess most of the
> people out there will use nautilus in its default way (and be it just
> because of not knowing the difference).....

Can you explain this, with some examples? You attach two labels to
(possibly) different ways of working with files and directories,
"managing" and "browsing". Possibly different because you don't really
know how I interact with my system.

If I understand you, you mean that keeping things you download on the
desktop constitutes an example of "managing files", but putting
downloads in a different folder, even with a clearly defined name, such
as "Downloads", is an example of "browsing files". Boy, now I'm
confused. In which cases can I create extra folders and I don't end up
being called "somebody who browses" (because that appears to be a bad
thing). Can I put my development projects in separate folders? My
images?

We can both have our ways. I'm willing to change the way I work if I see
good reasons to do so. And if I don't, well, I can always change the
system to work the way *I* want it to. The same goes for you. It would
be nice to have a sane default. But of course, we can't agree on what
that sane default is. And at the end of the day the default will be the
personal preference of the developers cloaked as "this is what people
want" or "this is the best way to do it".

To tell you the truth I use a terminal 90% of the time. From there I can
launch vim, call tla commands and ssh into my servers.

++Lorenzo;