when you receive a file with xchat this is placed in ~/.xchat2 wouldn't ~/download/ be better?

Tom von Schwerdtner tomvons at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 11:03:04 CST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:26:28 +0000, Lorenzo E. Danielsson
<lorenzo at aponkye.com> wrote:
> I must say I couldn't agree more. Why, why, why do you want to clutter
> down my desktop with downloads? Have I done something to hurt your
> feelings? ;-) There is a reason why I have ~/downloads and a symlink to
> ~/Desktop/Downloads. How do you simplify things for me by adding
> complexity to my life?

Using ~/Desktop as the default location is the only sane choice IMO.
Files downloaded to the desktop are immediately accessible and can
easily be moved afterwards if the user so desires (most likely without
having to open any nautilus windows).  Any other solution would
either:

a) put the file in a non-obvious location (~/downloads is not at all obvious)

b) require creating new default folders on the desktop (eg, ~/Desktop/Downloads)

> Sorry if this comes out as if I'm flaming, but you guys have done so many things so very *right* that I'm a little surprised. It seems to me that somebody may need a little sleep.

XChat uses it's own default download directory right now.  I think it
is just a matter of "nobody has gotten to it yet".

Regards,
Tom

--
Tom von Schwerdtner