locate + anacron

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Thu Nov 11 15:40:47 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 17:34 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> $ locate foo
> warning: locate: could not open database: /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db: No such file or directory

> Conclusion: we need anacron :-)

>From my POV, having a locate database is not a good enough reason to
want anacron.

In fact, at some stage, I could deviously propose that we not include
locate stuff by default. :-) We're going to have things like Beagle and
so on in the not-so-distant future (so locate won't be all that useful
for desktops), and I can't fully rationalise to myself that a locate
database is of critical importance as a base feature (is it really that
important on servers? I've always removed it myself).

What are the other cron jobs for which anacron would be important?

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!