Accessible Ubuntu [Was: Speakup]

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Mon Nov 8 22:49:36 CST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 12:55:13PM EST, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 11:58 +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> > This would make things a LOT easier, yes. However if including it
> > doesn't go ahead, making a derivitive is the best option so far.
>
> As the infrastructure develops (in the coming months), I think that a
> proof-of-concept derivative will be the best option for an Accessible
> Ubuntu, in fact it may be the first of many. :-)

Is anybody else working on such a derivitive? If so, I would like to
collaborate with them so that duplicate work is not being done.

> As features enter, we can see if they can be provided by default without
> being in the way, and shift them up to the main branch. So even if the
> speakup patches aren't included straight away, there's a development
> path for them.

Certainly sounds like a good idea, particularly as it is difficult to
make different kernel packages with different names so that kernels
don't conflict. :)

> Luke, will you be coming to the next DebSIG codefest in Sydney? We can
> line up some stuff to do there. :-)

Yes, I am quite sure I can get there. I would like to start working on
some GNOME stuff as well.

Luke