ISDN does not work [solved]

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Mon Nov 8 12:34:35 CST 2004

Oliver Grawert schrieb am 08.11.2004 18:08

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 08.11.2004, 16:57 +0100 schrieb Christoph Bier:
>
>>Ok, thanks! In case of need I will give the friend my old Fritz card
>>and take her Teles card (hopefully I will never need ISDN again).
>>But first of all I have to solve the problem with the missing
>>devices ...
>
> i think you will need to give her yours, as the teles driver still seems
> far away for mISDN.
>
> dont hassle with the devices, isdnctrl and friends are i4l (as isdnutils
> is), not CAPI and wont work with udev/hotplug/linux2.6 (even if it would
> be possible to rape udev this way, i dont think you should do this, as
> i4l is planned to get dropped completely during 2.6 afaik)

Yes, now I understood this, but because I don't have the time to
investigate the new CAPI interface, I decided to use the old
interface -- and was confused =/ with the devices. But now, that I
know your Howto, it should be easy to use CAPI.

> the new isdn stuff also doesnt use the ipppX interfaces anymore, they
> generate a plain ppp iface on top of CAPI to connect....
>
> you should make sure there is no isdnutils/isdncontrol/hisax stuff in
> use, then follow the howto and you will find a /dev/ppp to connect
> over...

Ok, I checked all the settings again and everything was correct. But
obviously there was a problem with libcapi20 and pppdcapiplugin. I
reinstalled both and then got the following:

$ pon
Plugin userpass.so loaded.
userpass: $Revision: 1.4 $
Plugin capiplugin.so loaded.
capiplugin: $Revision: 1.35 $
capiconn:  1.9
Couldn't load shared library libcapi20.so
libcapi20.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load shared library libcapi20.so
libcapi20.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Speicherzugriffsfehler

(for the non-german speaking people:
	Speicherzugriffsfehler = Segmentation fault)

$ dpkg -l pppd* libcapi* | grep ^ii
ii  pppdcapiplugin 3.3.0.20040728 plugin for pppd to communicate
with CAPI-cap
ii  libcapi20-3    3.3.0.20040728 libraries for CAPI support

$ updatedb
$ locate libcapi20.so
$

So I installed the development package of libcapi20 and then it worked:

$ sudo apt-get install libcapi20-dev
$ pon
Plugin userpass.so loaded.
userpass: $Revision: 1.4 $
Plugin capiplugin.so loaded.
capiplugin: $Revision: 1.35 $
capiconn:  1.9

$ cat /var/log/messages | grep ' IP '
Nov  8 18:52:18 localhost pppd[4967]: local  IP address 145.254.159.78
Nov  8 18:52:18 localhost pppd[4967]: remote IP address 145.253.1.117

I think this should be mentioned in your Howto. Thanks for your help!

A last question on this topic: how has the modem lights-applet to be
configured to work correct (at the moment disconnection does not
work out of the applet) and show connect time and throughput?
'Device: /dev/ppp' or 'Use ISDN' doesn't seem to be right.

Best regards,
	Christoph