Localization Ideas

seadog at sealabs.net seadog at sealabs.net
Sun Nov 7 05:02:38 CST 2004

On Σαβ, 2004-11-06 at 22:50 +0100, Miravlix wrote:
> On lør, 2004-11-06 at 20:26 +0200, seadog at sealabs.net wrote:
> > 	I have some suggestions to improve localization in ubuntu. Here in
> > Greece we have some not so common preferences about our desktop.
> > Although we like to be able to read, write in greek, display the time in
> > european format, we prefer a4 paper size most of us don't prefer greek
> > speaking menus. Because our language it's not Latin based, the
> > terminology is *completly* different from english and we have some
> > difficult time trying to understand unsuccessfull tanslations in greek.
> > So we generally prefer to see messages in the original, english speeking
> > format. This problem may sound too much but believe me it's really a
> > problem.
>
> I have the same problem with fully understanding translated text, I used
> computers for many years before it got modern to translate them and I
> just don't understand danish computer speak. :)
>
> What I do is change LC_MESSAGE to the en_DK locale, that way everything
> else stays da_DK, but messages, menus in X, etc. stays English.
>
> ubuntu locales doesn't include en_XX for greek, but search the net, or
> create one, should be fairly easy.

I know that I can change the settings using /etc/enviroment for example.
But what I am suggesting is that is should work out of the box even for
the complete beginner so that we can make ubuntu even more user
friendly.

The gnome menus and others messages (Eg. evolution left menu) I think
that look at the LANG variable rather than the LC_MESSAGES variable
which is wrong in my opinion and should be changed.