installers for restricted content

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Nov 3 18:15:46 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 05:15:55PM -0500, David Walker wrote:

> Anyways, the point-and-click gui sounds like synaptic for the most part.  I
> don't know what you mean by proper, I believe synaptic is pretty good for
> what it does.  So I don't know what you had in mind as this X configuration
> tool.

Synaptic installs packages; the installation part of this is already
trivial.  However, there is a second step: choosing to use the proprietary
driver in place of the open source one.  This is done with a simple
command-line tool.

https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BinaryDriverHowto

You said that you felt this should be possible without any command-line
knowledge, so the obvious step would be to provide an alternative to the
existing command-line tool.

--
 - mdz