New Maintainer Proccess

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Wed Nov 3 08:34:23 CST 2004

Hello World,

   I am wondering where are we with the new maintainers appointment and
process, and how much this applies to people with not so much of Debian
packaging experience, however with a very strong urge to contribute to
Ubuntu.

   From what I understood, the intention in Ubuntu is not to tell people
to "take a hike for 4 years and learn debian" before they can start
doing some devel work. However, I have still remained with this feeling.

I have sever more points I would like to get answers also:

* Does the wiki MaintainersCandidates page means anything?
  - Who should be looking at it? What shall he do with the info?

* I understand that everybody can work on a packages he likes, however
how this is integrated in the big picture? surely there need to be some
authority to say which/when/what pkgs to work on? like WNPP on debian..

* Is there really going to be a step based, guided new devel/maintainer
process? are people going to get assigned mentors and work closely with
them until they become self reliant?

As I am very interested in helping Ubuntu, development wise, this
concerns me a lot and I would like to know better when we stand,
especially from the "go learn debian for 4 years before trying Ubuntu
maintainer ship" feeling ....

I would also like to start up a wiki page for people wanting to be new
maintainers , so maybe some of the responses I will get here would
eventually be compiled into this document, maybe later to become the
"Ubuntu New Maintainer Guide"

Cheers!

Sivan