[Fwd: Re: Suggestions for Hoary]

Bastian Doetsch bastian.doetsch at gmx.de
Fri Dec 17 09:34:14 CST 2004

El mié, 15-12-2004 a las 12:24 +0100, Michael Vogt escribió:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 05:43:10PM +0100, Bastian Doetsch wrote:
> > > When I ran an 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' packages were
> > > upgraded. This, I assumed, was the job for Update Manager / Upgrade
> > > notifier. I have tried to find some documenation on especially upgrade
> > > notifier, but didn't find any.
> > I had to add upgrade-notifier to my session and install update-manager
> > in order to make the icon appear. Now, if there are new updates (I run
> > apt-get update via cron.hourly), an icon appears. Only thing I noticed
> > is, after having installed all available updates, the icon doesn't
> > disappear.
>
> I uploaded a new version (0.36) that should be better at tracking when
> it needs to update itself. It may take up to 5 minutes to notice about
> the changes though.

Why don't we hide the icon after having applied all updates?
Furthermore, why does update-manager start with only giving it a
single-click. I'd think double-click would be more intuitive. Apart from
that I absolutely love the notifier and update-manager. They make
upgrading much more convenient and you still feel in control of your
computer :-).

> It's still not perfect but I would like to know about crashes or
> failures to update it's status.

I'll keep you posted about stuff I notice :-). Btw., in which language
is the upgrade-notifier written? And where do I find the sources? I'd
like a peak at them...

> thanks,
>  Michael

Bye, Bastian

--

"The path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."
- William Blake, The marriage of heaven and hell