Good Fix to Sound Server Problem (was Re: Sound Server vs. Other Solutions?)

thully at umich.edu thully at umich.edu
Wed Dec 15 22:18:50 CST 2004

I have found a fix to this problem with the sound server in hoary which causes
it
to not allow any non-esd applications to use sound.

Simply remove the -d default from the spawn_options line in
/etc/esound/esd.conf.
This has allowed me to use GNOME event sounds, rhythmbox sound, and the sound in
Flash works (although a legacy sound app and an esd app can't use the sound at
the same time).  I also switched from libesd0 to libesd-alsa0 (I'm not sure,
but
it seems that this works better w/ this change - anyway, this should be used
as Ubuntu uses ALSA, not OSS).

Could these changes make it into the default Ubuntu install?